Oh my god, what has happened since Tuesday? I mean, there’s the Heartbeat Bill in my native Ohio, which criminalizes abortion at a point before most women even know they’re pregnant. There’s Trump getting the National Park Service to deny permits for weeks around the Lincoln Memorial to prevent the Million Woman March next month. Apparently Trump also just said that internment wasn’t bad because FDR?
- For more on reproductive rights bullshit, the Order of the Good Death has a great guest post on what that new Texas law about burying fetal remains from miscarriages actually means from a legal standpoint.
- Do not miss the New York Times Magazine’s “Life in Obamacare’s Dead Zone.” Get ready for a lot more of this.
- “I always find it funny when city liberals are accused of living in a 10million strong bubble, but rurals in their town of 10,000 aren’t,” tweets TV writer Sophie Petzal. Exhibit A, from the New Republic: “The Myth of the Smug Liberal,” reminding us that “being a hillbilly” is no automatic trigger for being a conservative. Exhibit B, from the Atlantic: “The Dangerous Myth That Hillary Clinton Ignored the Working Class.” Fight this narrative.
- Also not to be missed: “What It Was Like as a Muslim to Cover the Election,” from NPR’s Asma Khalid. Not only about what reporters faces during the campaign, but what she confronted as a native Indianan.
- Do not look away: Dorothea Lange’s uncensored photos of Japanese-American families on their way to U.S. internment camps.
Stay brave, friends.
Leave a Reply